I love to watch my cat Dave; his actions have such wisdom in them. He has been an amazing gift in my life, always present, always loving – well, when he says so.
Dave has been my constant companion during life’s challenges, and continues to provide wisdom in just being in my life as he is.
After spending 8 years with him, I reflect on the life lessons he’s taught me along the way, and there are many!
1. Love with all of your heart, unconditionally
2. Play with wild abandonment as if no one were watching
3. Share your food with a neighbor
4. Keep yourself clean
5. Say I love you in many different ways
6. Sit on the front porch and watch the world go by
7. Smell the flowers and eat the grass
8. Be present walking, anywhere
9. Be clear about when you need your own space
10. Take naps regularly
11. Communicate when you are hungry, and when you want to be held
12. Go for a walk at sunset
13. Roll on your back when you want attention
14. Reach out to those in need of love and support
15. Greet those you love at the door
And how did he get the name Dave? I adopted him from a home where he came with the name Nitro – this did not fit his personality – it sounded like a nuclear holocaust, so I named him after a favorite dog named Dave that had passed away recently. Dave (the cat) continues to teach me each day to be in the present, be nice, and open my heart. There is no limit to how much we can love!
“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened“ ~ Anatole France
What have you learned from your pet? Please share it by commenting to this post, we can all benefit!
Categories: Heart Centered Living