Yesterday I woke up feeling, well, you know, blue…
Blue, lonely, sad, frustrated, bland, unmotivated, blue…
I had nothing to complain about – other than things weren’t going exactly as I wanted them to.
My business teaches me this every day – being patient and o.k. with life just as it is.
But damn it – I want it to be different than it is sometimes! I want to reach more people. I want projects to be done faster than they can get done. I want to be totally clear on my message that I don’t have total clarity on.
And when all this doesn’t happen, I think, “what’s wrong with me?”
That’s really what brings on the “blues”… that underneath it all, I think there’s something wrong with me.
Deep down, I know this isn’t true. Of me, of you, or anyone else in the world. But the mind says some crazy things sometimes that are FAR from the Truth and total bull@#$.
So what can you do when you’re feeling blue?
Here are 11 tips and tricks I use on days when I feel blah, unmotivated, sad, or just plain yucky (I know you have them too, it’s part of being human):
- Stick with your morning rituals. Don’t falter from these. If you do meditation, do meditation, if you do yoga, do yoga, if you make a smoothy, make your smoothy. These rituals are important to maintain even during times of feeling yucky (I do want you to NOT read the paper and please stay off electronics for the first 30 min. after waking up!).
- Make no big decisions. This is a day to just be with what is coming up for you. Make no decisions from this place. You may regret them later when you are feeling upbeat and happy again.
- DON’T GIVE UP. I tell myself this everyday. Whatever you do, don’t give up what you believe in, what matters to you, what you love, or what brings you joy. Don’t give up. You can do it. Say this to yourself throughout the day.
- Eat healthy foods. When I’m feeling blue, I crave chocolate, ice cream, and chips. Then I feel more blue because my body crashes from the sugar and salt if I eat it. Stay away from these foods. Greens, smoothies, whole grains, and lots of water are great for days like today.
- Be gentle and kind with yourself. Say nice things to yourself throughout the day, like “I am complete and whole as I am” “What I do matters” “I accept and love myself as I am” “I am enough” or some other phrase that resonates for you.
- Spend time outside. Watch the birds, take a walk, hike, or bike ride. Notice what you feel, see, hear, and smell.
- Snuggle with your pet. There’s nothing like a little animal love to feel good. Not to be underestimated!
- Be the source. I learned this from Neal Donald Walsch – author of Conversations with God. When you’re feeling blue, think about someone in your life who may be struggling, and give them a gift – maybe it’s a simple phone call to say hi, help with moving, washing their dishes, or raking their yard. It’s amazing how helping others gets us out a world of self-pity or attachment and into the world of joy (it’s why the Buddha’s first teaching was on Generosity).
- Take a hot bath with lots of bubbles and Nora Jones playing in the background – and then SING YOUR HEART OUT with Nora.
- Let go of the to do list, and play one of your favorite songs that lifts your heart (you have my permission to dance too). Here are two of my favorites:
Firework by Katie Perry
Just the Way you Are by Bruno Mars
- Give yourself permission to have a blue day. It’s o.k. Sometimes they happen. There is nothing wrong with you, your life, your circumstances, your heart, your body, your mind, your home, or anything else. You are perfect just the way you are. This I know.